The general objective of the project is to “to support effective educational campaigns to make general population aware of the need of adequate nutrition and balance diets and how to adjust nutrition to habits, tastes and needs, and to train health professionals, informal care-givers and general population as regards how to identify malnutrition and nutrition needs at all ages, with special focus on elderlies”
This objective is achieved by implementing the following set of tools:
1) A massive open online course (MOOC) addressed to health professionals and informal carers with contents complementing their education and training, and focused on the detection of malnutrition on different groups of population (children, elders and adults), taking into consideration possible chronic conditions (e.g., cardiovascular diseases), special diet needs (e.g., celiac people), the most common food allergies, special conditions (such as pregnancy, Alzheimer, etc.), etc.
2) A serious game platform teaching and promoting the benefits of a balanced diet and the importance of a healthy lifestyle for children.
3) A library of thematic applications for adult population, which promotes balance diets and adequate nutritional status, taking into consideration an adequate physical activity level. The contents of such applications will allow community contributions validated by experts.
The contents on all these tools will be firstly compiled from the scientific knowledge and will be evaluated by a representative segment of each target group. Once they are publicly available, their impact will be measured and results will be disseminated at European level.
- To create an educational program for professionals and informal carers o detecting malnutrition, promoting a balanced diet and an adequate nutritional status: The project will create a MOOC course addressed to these collectives, which provides training and further develop competences when fighting malnutrition at all ages, with special attention to the elderlies.
- To validate the created educational program with a significant segment of healthcare professionals and informal carers: The contents and the educational program will be evaluated by professionals in different healthcare levels (e.g., primary care doctors, nurses, nutritionist, etc.) and by different sets of informal carers (e.g., relatives, social workers, childhood attendants, etc.).
- To create tools to support public campaigns for general population which promote a balanced diet, an adequate nutritional status and adequate physical activity levels: The project will create 2 types of tools to promote the benefits of healthy habits with special focus on nutrition and physical activity: tools for children and tools for adults and elderlies.
- To compile state of the art knowledge on nutritional habits, physical activity and balanced diet and give the community tools to update contents with trustful information sources: The project will use the scientific knowledge to train professionals and raise awareness in general population, while letting experts in the field of nutrition, physical activity and healthcare to enrich that knowledgebase with validated and sound information.
- To assess the impact of the educational and awareness strategies: Assess how both activities are reaching the target collectives and measure the impact on their daily activity and habits.
- To achieve a European level of dissemination of the project results: To make sure that project outcomes are disseminated and transferred to other regions all around Europe.